harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Proposal for "first-order obvious logic" project
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:16:03 GMT
Tim, all,

While it would really great to have 100% API implemented, I broke into
a sweat when imagined that the quality of our code base may drop in
result of this approach, if it would not be properly supported with
tests. This especially concerns sophisticated NotImplementedException
implementation which is vulenrable to errors.

I come with an idea how we can handle it. I suggest investing into
automatic tool which would parse bytecode of our methods, make a
control flow graph and create sets of input parameters which would
cover all branches in the code. Then we can run methods with given
parameters and record resulting exceptions or objects (for
non-serializable objects some hash function such as toString() may be
recorded). Finally we can generate a test which would check that the
method produces the recorded result for the set of parameters.

Using this approach we get a test suite with 100% branch coverage and
100% pass rate. Providing this as an argument we would beat those who
might think that "first-order obvious logic" does not give us
compatible and fully tested implementation.

If creating a control flow graph would be to too complex for an
applying student, generating typical corner parameters (such as
objects created by a default constructor) would give us 100% method
coverage quickly.

Thanks!

:-)

--