harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ian Rogers" <rogers.em...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][performance] @Inline and @NoBoundsCheck annotation support
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:38:26 GMT
2008/4/28 Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com>:

> Ian Rogers wrote:
>
> > Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I had returned to idea to have @Inline and @NoBoundCheck annotation
> > > support in classlib and Jitrino.
> > > I will try to summarize the rationale for both these annotations:
> > >
> > >  1. @Inline. There are places where we're creating small methods to
> > > get more consistent code, while we expect JIT should inline them to
> > > reduce call penalty. Unfortunately, this is not always the case and
> > > any JIT can miss the opportunities for inline. As classlib developers
> > > we can dope our code with the hints saying "this method is really
> > > should be inlined, as we know it would be the penalty leaving it not
> > > inlined, just do it even when inline budget is exhausted". Jitrino
> > > really have @Inline already as the part of vmmagic package, but I want
> > > to see these annotations visible from the classlib part.
> > >
> > > That's the case of new HashMap [1] for example:
> > >
> > >    /*
> > >     * Contract-related functionality
> > >     */
> > >    static int computeHashCode(Object key) {
> > >        return key.hashCode();
> > >    }
> > >
> > >    static boolean areEqualKeys(Object key1, Object key2) {
> > >        return key1.equals(key2);
> > >    }
> > >
> > >    static boolean areEqualValues(Object value1, Object value2) {
> > >        return value1.equals(value2);
> > >    }
> > >

> > >  2. @NoBoundCheck. There are also cases in which we definitely know
> > > that no bound check need to be performed. This is the case of HashMap
> > > again:

> > >            int hash = computeHashCode(key);
> > >            index = hash & (elementData.length - 1);
> > >            entry = elementData[index];
> > >
> > >   Of course, good JIT compiler should also resolve such patterns and
> > > eliminate bounds check here, but we can again hint the compiler they
> > > are not necessary. There's a complication though that such pragma
> > > could violate security if used in user code, but we could restrict its
> > > usage to bootstrap classes only. ABCD gurus (Egor?) could shed more
> > > light whether it's possible to implement on JIT side.
> > >
> > > What do you think? I can elaborate with proof-of-concept patches to
> > > see what advantage it would bring.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Aleksey.
> > >
> > > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-5791
> > >

> > Hi Aleksey,
> >
> > an alternate approach may be to use a bytecode engineering library. For
> example, Jikes RVM uses ASM to add annotations to the library during
> bootstrap compilation [1].
> >

>  Are you advocating using bytecode modification specifically over source
> annotations, or just pointing it out as an alternative?
>
>  Since Harmony has the class library implementation I'm more inclined to
> consider this directly in the source code.
>
>  Regards,
>  Tim

I'm proposing it as an alternative. For the RVM modifying the Java
files wasn't an option, but I believe even if it were considered it
would have been unpopular as tools like JAPI would have highlighted
the difference of the annotated API with that of the standard class
library.

Ian
--
Third International Workshop on Implementation, Compilation,
Optimization of Object-Oriented Languages, Programs and Systems