harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nadya Morozova" <nad.moroz...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general][repos] Benchmark repository
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 03:13:18 GMT
Hi,
I think we have had an attempt to merge those TXT files into a guide but got
a part of the content twisted by reformulating things and subsequently
changing their meaning.
I think having a clear starting doc for BTI on the website can be helpful,
though.

Ok, I filed a JIRA [link] to get some documentation to the website. I don't
promise it'll be comprehensive, but it should have the basics highlighted,
and would relate to the TXT docs in the source code tree. what do you say?
[link] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-5772

- nadya

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> the BTI' page for us :-)
>
> Tim
>

> Sean Qiu wrote:
>
> > You can get  a brief introduction to BTI from here:
> > http://harmony.apache.org/subcomponents/buildtest/index.html
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/buildtest/trunk/infra/README.txt
> >
> > You can get a development introduction of BTI from here:
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/buildtest/trunk/infra/SPEC.txt
> >
> > If you want to know more implementation details about BTI, you can
> > refer to this document:
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/buildtest/trunk/infra/dev-guide.txt
> >
> > I hope this will be helpful to you.
> >
> > 2008/4/18, Aleksey Shipilev <aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com>:
> >
> > > So, should I make the benchmark ready for running via BTI?
> > >  Are there any guidelines and criteria it should meet?
> > >
> > >  Thanks,
> > >
> > > Aleksey.
> > >

> > >  On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 8:09 PM, Sean Qiu <sean.xx.qiu@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >  > What about adding a web UI for our BTI?
> > >  >  I think it is natural since we have a similar one to publish our
> > > results.
> > >  >
> > >  >  Just like continuum[1], it is easier to manage.
> > >  >  Maybe we can get some hint from it.
> > >  >
> > >  >  Anyway, BTI is worthwhile devation.
> > >  >
> > >  >  [1] http://continuum.apache.org/
> > >  >
> > >  >
> > >  >
> > >  >  2008/4/16, Stepan Mishura <stepan.mishura@gmail.com>:
> > >  >  > On 4/16/08, Alexey Varlamov <alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > >  >  > > 2008/4/16, Stepan Mishura <stepan.mishura@gmail.com>:
> > >  >  > > > On 4/16/08, Alexey Varlamov <alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >  >  > > > > 2008/4/16, Tony Wu <wuyuehao@gmail.com>:
> > >  >  > > > > > Is it possible to integrate into BTI? if not
we can
> > > consider the enhanced/tools/
> > >  >  > > > >
> > >  >  > > > > There is one already in drlvm trunk, see
> > > working_vm/src/test/microbenchmark.
> > >  >  > > > > There is no infrastructure around, it is mere store
holder
> > > for now.
> > >  >  > > > > Feel free to add benches there, they are not intended
> > > be
> > >  >  > > > > VM-specific.
> > >  >  > > > >
> > >  >  > > >
> > >  >  > > > I would say opposite if they are DRLVM specific then
it is
> > > OK to put
> > >  >  > > > them to the folder. Otherwise (i.e. they are not
> > > VM-specific) we
> > >  >  > > > should integrate them to BTI.
> > >  >  > > >
> > >  >  > > > Th point is that DRLVM workspace should contain only
DRLVM
> [...]
> > >  >  > > but now I'm afraid most contributors would rather leave a
> > > bench-case
> > >  >  > > hanging in JIRA than dare to hack BTI. I'm happy to be proven
> > > wrong,
> > >  >  > > though.
> > >  >  > >
> > >  >  >
> > >  >  > "convenience of using and extending" is questionable for me in
> > > this case.
> > >  >  > Well, yes I agree that from position of a DRLVM developer it is
> > > more
> > >  >  > convenient when EHWA-API scenario is located in DRLVM workspace
> > > - no
> > >  >  > additional efforts are required to run it. But what about
> > > classlib
> > >  >  > developer who wants to run EHWA-API on J9 - she/he needs to
> > > checkout
> > >  >  > DRLVM workspace. Is this convenient and extensible? (Hmm, may be
> > > I was
> > >  >  > wrong when I insisted on integration of LDAP scenario into BTI
> > > then
> > >  >  > into classlibrary ;-))
> > >  >  >
> > >  >  > Seriously, if we think that using BTI is complicated for a
> > > developer
> > >  >  > then we should do our best and make it simpler and more
> > > convenient.
> > >  >  > Otherwise we finish with zoo of different suites/scenarios in
> > > several
> > >  >  > places.
> > >  >  >
> > >  >  > Thanks,
> > >  >  > Stepan.
> > >  >  >
> > >  >  > > Regards,
> > >  >  > > Alexey
> > >  >  > > >
> > >  >  > > > Thanks,
> > >  >  > > > Stepan.
> > >  >  > > >
> > >  >  > > > > Re integration to BTI, this would require fair amount
of
> > > efforts and
> > >  >  > > > > usage model is not clear to me.
> > >  >  > > > >
> > >  >  > > > > >
> > >  >  > > > > > On 4/15/08, Aleksey Shipilev <aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >  >  > > > > > > Hi Tony, all!
> > >  >  > > > > > >
> > >  >  > > > > > > Does it make sense to create special place
in our
> > > repository for
> > >  >  > > > > > > storing the benchmarks like this one I've
used in my
> > > performance
> > >  >  > > > > > > researches on Harmony? It would be great
to have them
> > > synchronized in
> > >  >  > > > > > > repos rather than store in JIRA.
> > >  >  > > > > > > Thanks,
> > >  >  > > > > > > Aleksey.
> > >  >  > > > > > > On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Tony
Wu <

--
Cheers,
Nadya