harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Elford, Chris L" <chris.l.elf...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [drlvm][verifier] Using the Harmony verifier code for computing the StackMapTable attribute
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:27:02 GMT
Hi Endre,

  In addition to providing a great license :-), Eclipse Foundation manages a set of open source
projects...  Kindof like Apache.   For those projects managed directly in Eclipse, the foundation
does IP review of any 3rd party content coming into the project.  I'm not a lawyer so I don't
know all the ends and outs and I don't know the exact set of checks that are performed.  I
do know the source code is reviewed via some mechanism though.  Review depends on the source
of the material but always happens EVEN for integration of components with a compatible license
such as Apache.

  The two links I put in my previous post: <http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/ip-process-in-cartoons.php>
and
<http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/www/legal/EclipseLegalProcessPoster.pdf?hideattic=0&root=Eclipse_Website&view=log>
provide more detail on the Eclipse side of the process.  I can say that they don't really
review 3rd party content continuously, they just review the specific releases of the 3rd party
content that are intended to be consumed by Eclipse projects.

  Sure, there is some pain involved here...  Eclipse has started a new project (Orbit) to
try to pull together a lot of the more common 3rd party components used by Eclipse projects.
 This particular request is not part of Orbit but it might be a good place to look for more
details about Eclipse processes in this area if you're interested.  See http://www.eclipse.org/orbit.

Regards,
Chris Elford
Intel Software Solutions Group