harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Elford, Chris L" <chris.l.elf...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [drlvm][verifier] Using the Harmony verifier code for computing the StackMapTable attribute
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:14:12 GMT
Hi all,

  It looks like there hasn't been an update on the list about this in a
while.  After some initial successes with these JIRAs, the guys working
on the Eclipse TPTP project (http://eclipse.org/tptp) decided to pursue
using this Harmony component to provide StackMapTable attribute
computation for bytecode instrumentation of Java6+ classes.  We went
thru the Eclipse legal process
(http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/ip-process-in-cartoons.php
and
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/www/legal/EclipseLegalProcessPo
ster.pdf?hideattic=0&root=Eclipse_Website&view=log) for permission to
consume part of Harmony's M5 binary milestone release: verifier.lib and
associated headers out of the HDK.

  We were planning to try to integrate the technology into TPTP 4.5 (to
be released in June
http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/project_info/devplans/Eclipse%20TPTP%20
Project%204.5%20Release%20Plan.htm) as part of the Eclipse 3.4 Ganymede
release (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Ganymede).  Asaf talked about this on
the list sometime last year.  Unfortunately, though we got some
promising results, we ran into a few snags with the version in Harmony
M5.  In particular, lack of necessary headers in the HDK release, a few
unhandled boundary conditions, etc.  Unfortunately, we only acquired
permission from Eclipse legal to use the M5 binary release so the fixes
that are now in JIRA or head are unusable by us at this time.

  We can go back to the Eclipse legal for permission to use another
release/milestone of Harmony.  The question is whether there is going to
be another Harmony milestone soon enough to allow this process to happen
(hopefully successfully).  It may already be too late to get an updated
release/milestone reviewed, approved, and integrated but the Eclipse
legal folks tell us that it is not impossible.

  I know you guys have been doing milestones every few months lately and
the last one was at the end of Feb.  Is there an updated milestone
upcoming soon (i.e., in the next 2-4 weeks?).

Regards,
Chris Elford
Eclipse TPTP PMC member

and my other identity: