harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] removing people names from sources
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:48:12 GMT
Hi, sorry for being different here.

I strongly object to remove author names without any reason, although
I don't mind removing myself's name. They put the names in their
original code for their own reasons, it's not other people's right to
remove their names without any reason.

We should respect the original authors. If they put their names there,
let's leave them there until  people contributing to the same files
decide to remove them. Yes, the software is community work, but it
doesn't mean that to keep some authors' names contradicts this spirit.
On the contrary, I believe a community with individual respect is more
healthful. We should leave the choice to the invidual contributors. I
personally don't see any negative effect with authors' names in the
source files.

To have long list of author names in the file header is not very
beautiful, but that's the contributors' own decision. If you are also
a contributor to same file and you feel it's stupid, you can assume
your own responsibility to beautify it. You can decide to remove the
author name list. You can also decide to add your own name to the list
and make the list into ascii art.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--