harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [doc] updated Harmony GC quick hacking guide
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:44:26 GMT
Prakhar, thanks for your interests in this semispace GC in Harmony.
Reply inlined below:

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:18 PM, Prakhar Goyal <prakhargoyal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Xiao-Feng,
>
>  I found the material given on
>  http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com/2008/02/harmony-gc-internal-semi-space-garbage.html
>
>  very interesting. I further question the choice of age threshold as 1. We
>  can further develop it further with age threshold different from1 so as to
>  be more efficient. In that case, the factors of evaluation need to be
>  computed.

Age 1 might be not perfect, but it's adequate in my evaluations of
typical benchmarks. That means, most objects cannot survive the second
round of collection. To have bigger age threshold may not bring
obvious benefit. For example, 100MB new objects may have only 5MB
survivals after the first collection, and then 1MB after the second
round. This is small enough for MOS to accommodate mostly, and to
avoid major collections largely.

>  Also, I would like to ask if the semi-space implementation is complete in
>  all aspects. If not, I would be happy to know about remaining aspects, and I
>  will soon start working on implementing them.

Hmm, let me think. Then I will give you a reply.

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com