harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][gc_gen] write barriers in gc_gen
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:27:46 GMT
Simon, good questions.

Write barriers are used in Harmony GC mainly for two things: one is
generational GC, the other is concurrent GC.

For generational GC, JIT should instrument ref stores (write a ref to
a field) with gc_heap_slot_write_ref invocation. During the code
execution, it will go through the path of
WRITE_BARRIER_REM_SOURCE_REF, which checks if the reference is from
non-NOS and pointing to NOS (in other words, cross the nos_boundary),
and remembers the ref slot (the field address containing the ref) if
it is. (The remember ref slots are called remember set, in par with
root set).

Path of WRITE_BARRIER_REM_NIL actually does nothing, except to simply
conduct the ref store. It is for the case when jitted code is
instrumented, but the GC is not generational or doesn't care about the
remember set.

Other paths of write barrier are mainly used for concurrent GC. Yes,
they are basically used for the marking phase: the phase determining
the reachability of objects. In other words, concurrent marker thread
marks the live object from root set. Since marker thread's marking and
mutator's mutating are racing for object access, write barrier is used
to ensure the marking process correctness, i.e., no miss of any live
objects.

Harmony GC has implemented three different concurrent marking
algorithms: most concurrent, DLG on-the-fly, and sliding-view based
on-the-fly. They use different barriers. If you are interested in the
details, please access my blog entries on concurrent GC topics. (Might
not be very useful for your GSoC project proposal).

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com