harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Comparison of Harmony GC_Gen vs. Parrot
Date Sun, 06 Apr 2008 23:41:53 GMT
Senaka, thanks for the page. I think the most important things are
related to the VM <-> GC protocol. Some questions that may help you:
1. How Parrot layout/encode an object/array? fields, size, object
header info, etc.
2. How Parrot layout/arrange the heap? free list? pages?
3. What's the process of an object creation? When and how?
4. How is a collection process triggered?
5. How does Parrot GC trace live objects and collect them?

Some of the questions above might be GC internals, so it's more
desirable if you can understand the Parrot VM's assumptions on GC.
I.e., does it assume the heap is laid out in certain way, does it
assume the objects are encoded in certain way, does it assume the
roots are enumerated in certain way, etc.? Depending on your progress,
more details might be needed later on.

For this project, you might have to understand the Parrot current
status for the above questions. It helps you and us to identify the
key issues to resolve, and the main efforts to be focused on. For GC
porting over different VMs, it's not like porting an application over
different OSes, because of the implicit assumptions between VM and GC.
I would expect some redesign work required for GC porting, hence you
have to understand the Parrot design in certain depth.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com