harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Write a graphical front-end for Harmony memory management
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 00:10:13 GMT
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Alexei Zakharov
<alexei.zakharov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Xiao-Feng,
>
>  AFAIK it's just a general-purpose JMX console with SWT front end. I.e.
>  it can manage everything that exposes JMX-compliant interface. IIRC I
>  successfully tested it with Bea Weblogic J2EE server and Bea JRockit
>  JVM. BTW, to be able to manage JVM internal resources you'll need to
>  enable its management agent for local  monitoring: "-Xmanagement" on
>  JRockit and "-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote" on Sun. I'm not sure if
>  we have something like it in Harmony. These agents just provide the
>  access to mbeans from "java.lang.management" package. So its
>  management interface is limited to the functionality provided by
>  java.lang.management. Sun also has management console called jconsole
>  - see [1]. JRockit has JRockit Management Console.
>
>  [1] http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/jconsole.html

Ok, thanks. Looks like it's not directly applicable to the project.
java.lang.management is not so specific to GC internals. It has a few
interfaces for memory management, which are too high-level to expose
GC internals. On the other hand, TPTP could be a good reference.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

>  Regards,
>  Alexei
>
>  2008/4/2, Xiao-Feng Li <xiaofeng.li@gmail.com>:
>

> > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Alexei Zakharov
>  >  <alexei.zakharov@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > BTW I just like pay everybody's attention on HARMONY-1105 [1]. It is a
>  >  >  Java management console implemented as an eclipse plugin; donated to
>  >  >  Harmony on Aug 2006. May be it can be (re)used somehow for memory
>  >  >  management purposes too.
>  >  >
>  >  >  [1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-1105
>  >
>  >
>  > Alexei, thanks for the suggestion. I need more understandings about the console:
>  >  1. Which component does it work with in Harmony? I'd like to see check
>  >  the features in details.
>  >  2. Can it work with GC in low-level details? For example, can it
>  >  support to show an object is moved from one location to another (as
>  >  what we saw in Windows defragmentor)?
>  >
>  >  Thanks,
>  >  xiaofeng
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  >  Thanks,
>  >  >  Alexei
>  >  >
>  >  >  2008/3/29, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>:
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > > Let me share few ideas:
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  > Step 1. to make Harmony work with GCspy based on its current
codebase;
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > This is a good work breakdown, but I want to see more in the
>  >  >  >  application. I believe the goal of the project should be more visible
>  >  >  >  and somehow reflect the usefulness. I would set the goal to improve
>  >  >  >  memory or performance profile of some application on Harmony using
>  >  >  >  GCspy, or in simpler words, enable GCspy to a degree when it would
be
>  >  >  >  able to do something useful.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  > Step 2. to modify GCspy for our monitoring/tuning needs as an
Eclipse plugin.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > May be one should think of aligning GCspy and TPTP instead. This is
>  >  >  >  more about supplementing TPTP with missed and useful things from GCspy
>  >  >  >  rather than GCspy porting. While it is useful sometimes and
>  >  >  >  unavoidable during hard times, for these two projects I do not see
>  >  >  >  enough arguments why they should compete instead of being merged into
>  >  >  >  something more useful.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  I agree with Xiao Feng that each of these tasks might be too ambitious
>  >  >  >  for a student project.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Xiao-Feng Li <xiaofeng.li@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Endre StĂžlsvik <Endre@stolsvik.com>
wrote:
>  >  >  >  >  > Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
>  >  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  >  >  > For this GSoC project, it's probably enough to have
the bullet 1
>  >  >  >  >  >  > achieved, and GCspy is a very good reference. Well
the wish for bullet
>  >  >  >  >  >  > 1 is to make it self-contained within Harmony as
a plugin of Eclipse
>  >  >  >  >  >  > (i.e., least dependent on external software but Eclipse
related).
>  >  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  >  >  Why wouldn't it be *much* better to integrate the existing
GCSpy project
>  >  >  >  >  >  (which apparently requires a "server" integration in that
JVM to be done
>  >  >  >  >  >  - KVM has e.g. done it), and if it lacks something, code
it into GCSpy
>  >  >  >  >  >  proper code? Then all will benefit..
>  >  >  >  >  Endre, thanks for the suggestion. I actually thought the same
thing, I
>  >  >  >  >  am just not sure if a GSoC project can be that ambitious, since
in my
>  >  >  >  >  understanding, GCspy is quite well-designed to accommodate various
>  >  >  >  >  runtime systems, and it's keep improving. Also I don't know
GCspy's

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com