harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Write a graphical front-end for Harmony memory management
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:23:30 GMT
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Alexei Zakharov
<alexei.zakharov@gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW I just like pay everybody's attention on HARMONY-1105 [1]. It is a
>  Java management console implemented as an eclipse plugin; donated to
>  Harmony on Aug 2006. May be it can be (re)used somehow for memory
>  management purposes too.
>
>  [1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-1105

Alexei, thanks for the suggestion. I need more understandings about the console:
1. Which component does it work with in Harmony? I'd like to see check
the features in details.
2. Can it work with GC in low-level details? For example, can it
support to show an object is moved from one location to another (as
what we saw in Windows defragmentor)?

Thanks,
xiaofeng

>  Thanks,
>  Alexei
>
>  2008/3/29, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>:
>

> > Let me share few ideas:
>  >
>  >
>  >  > Step 1. to make Harmony work with GCspy based on its current codebase;
>  >
>  >
>  > This is a good work breakdown, but I want to see more in the
>  >  application. I believe the goal of the project should be more visible
>  >  and somehow reflect the usefulness. I would set the goal to improve
>  >  memory or performance profile of some application on Harmony using
>  >  GCspy, or in simpler words, enable GCspy to a degree when it would be
>  >  able to do something useful.
>  >
>  >
>  >  > Step 2. to modify GCspy for our monitoring/tuning needs as an Eclipse plugin.
>  >
>  >
>  > May be one should think of aligning GCspy and TPTP instead. This is
>  >  more about supplementing TPTP with missed and useful things from GCspy
>  >  rather than GCspy porting. While it is useful sometimes and
>  >  unavoidable during hard times, for these two projects I do not see
>  >  enough arguments why they should compete instead of being merged into
>  >  something more useful.
>  >
>  >  I agree with Xiao Feng that each of these tasks might be too ambitious
>  >  for a student project.
>  >
>  >
>  >  On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Xiao-Feng Li <xiaofeng.li@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Endre StĂžlsvik <Endre@stolsvik.com>
wrote:
>  >  >  > Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  > For this GSoC project, it's probably enough to have the bullet
1
>  >  >  >  > achieved, and GCspy is a very good reference. Well the wish for
bullet
>  >  >  >  > 1 is to make it self-contained within Harmony as a plugin of
Eclipse

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com