harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Asaf Yaffe <asaf_ya...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [general] freeze for M5.5_Eclipse_TPTP
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:24:46 GMT
Hi,

First, I would like to apologize for not stepping into this discussion earlier. I was not
aware of the importance of having an "official" TPTP committer in this discussion. Vasily
Levchenko is driving this effort from the TPTP side and is doing an excellent job in communicating
our needs with regard to the Verifier work.

We were able to "relax" the legal process a little bit, and get approval to change the Harmony
code "consumption" mode from "unmodified binary" to "unmodified source". Therefore, we do
not need an "official binary package" from Harmony anymore, but we do need an "official source
package". By this, I assume that a tagged SVN version corresponding to a milestone build is
"official enough", and there is no need to provide a special link in the Harmony web site.
I will verify this with Eclipse Legal. The review itself is actually quite simple: the code
is scanned by an automated tool for 3rd-party dependencies, and since we know that there are
no such dependencies, then it is safe to assume that we will get an approval (a major factor
is that APL is compatible with the Eclipse Public License).

Eclipse Legal is going out of their way to help us including this code into the upcoming Eclipse
release (Ganymede). Their main requirement is that we submit the code of an "official" release
(M5.5, M6 or whatever it is called now). The main reason behind this is that any change in
the consumed code requires re-aproval from Eclipse Legal. Therefore, they like to get stable
source code they can review once (and only once).

The main issue we have is that we are running out of time. The original deadline for submission
was April 25th, but after discussing this issue with the TPTP Project Management Committee
(PMC), it seems that we still have a chance if we can submit the Harmony code for review before
May 2nd (another extension may be possible but not likely).

Just to reiterate (should be a well known fact already): the TPTP project is only interested
in the source files required to build the verifier-ext library (vmcore/src/verifier-3363 and
required include files). As far as I know, there are currently two open issues reported against
these files:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-5794 : this is considered a BLOCKER by TPTP
because we must be able to build the code on Linux.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-5764 :  this is a MAJOR issue, but we may be
able to work around it in TPTP (e.g., by changing instrumentation or excluding certain classes
from instrumentation).

If I understand correctly, code freeze for Harmony M5.5/M6 happens this week. Can anyone assess
the chances of having the code ready for consumption by the end of this week?

Thanks,
Asaf