harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Salishev" <sergey.i.salis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][performance] @Inline and @NoBoundsCheck annotation support
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:58:31 GMT
Hi Nathan,

I would partially agree with you on @Inline annotation but @NoBoundsCheck is
a different matter.

1. I think it still makes sense to hand tune class libraries as many user
applications have hot spots in class libraries in particular in collections
and common algorithms.
2. Eliminating bounds checks is a tough and costly optimization as it
requires interval arithmetic to work in nontrivial cases like binary search
in array for example. I don't know about Java JIT doning this type of
optimizations. But using @NoBoundsCheck trivially solves the problem.

Thanks.
Sergey.

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > <https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&to=ndbeyer@apache.org>
> > >  > <https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&to=ndbeyer@apache.org>>
> > >  > >
> > >  > > > wrote:
> > >  > >  > > I know I can be silly at times, but why not focus on
making
> > >  > better
> > >  > >  > JIT?
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > Good question... :)  I think the reason is, it's too hard
> get
> > the
> > >  > >  > JIT to do really well all the time. It's not only because
the
> > JIT is
> > >  > >  > not smart enough yet, but also because there are tradeoffs
> > between
> > >  > >  > compilation time and execution time.
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > Well, annotation is not the panacea for performance. JIT is
> > still the
> > >  > >  > major labor. Annotation is likes that when you are climbing
on
> > crag,
> > >  > >  > and accidentally find a dent to put your foot. :)
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > Thanks,
> > >  > >  > xiaofeng
> > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  -Nathan
> > >  > >  > >
> > >  > >  > >
> > >  > >  > >
> > >  > >  > >  On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 6:03 AM, Aleksey Shipilev <
> > >  > >  > >  aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com<
> https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&to=aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com>
> > <https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&to=aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com
> >
> > >  > <
> > https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&to=aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com
> >>
> > >  > >
> > >  > >
> > >  > > > wrote:
> > >  > >  > >
> > >  > >  > >  > Hi,
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  > I had returned to idea to have @Inline and @NoBoundCheck
> > >  > annotation
> > >  > >  > >  > support in classlib and Jitrino.
> > >  > >  > >  > I will try to summarize the rationale for both
these
> > >  > annotations:
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  >  1. @Inline. There are places where we're creating
small
> > methods
> > >  > >  > >  > get more consistent code, while we expect JIT should
> inline
> > them
> > >  > >  > >  > reduce call penalty. Unfortunately, this is not
always
> the
> > case
> > >  > and
> > >  > >  > >  > any JIT can miss the opportunities for inline.
As
> classlib
> > >  > developers
> > >  > >  > >  > we can dope our code with the hints saying "this
method
> is
> > >  > really
> > >  > >  > >  > should be inlined, as we know it would be the penalty
> > leaving it
> > >  > not
> > >  > >  > >  > inlined, just do it even when inline budget is
> exhausted".
> > >  > Jitrino
> > >  > >  > >  > really have @Inline already as the part of vmmagic
> package,
> > but
> > >  > I
> > >  > >  > want
> > >  > >  > >  > to see these annotations visible from the classlib
part.
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  > That's the case of new HashMap [1] for example:
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  >    /*
> > >  > >  > >  >     * Contract-related functionality
> > >  > >  > >  >     */
> > >  > >  > >  >    static int computeHashCode(Object key) {
> > >  > >  > >  >        return key.hashCode();
> > >  > >  > >  >    }
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  >    static boolean areEqualKeys(Object key1, Object
key2)
> {
> > >  > >  > >  >        return key1.equals(key2);
> > >  > >  > >  >    }
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  >    static boolean areEqualValues(Object value1,
Object
> > value2) {
> > >  > >  > >  >        return value1.equals(value2);
> > >  > >  > >  >    }
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  >  2. @NoBoundCheck. There are also cases in which
we
> > definitely
> > >  > know
> > >  > >  > >  > that no bound check need to be performed. This
is the
> case
> > of
> > >  > HashMap
> > >  > >  > >  > again:
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  >    ...
> > >  > >  > >  >            int hash = computeHashCode(key);
> > >  > >  > >  >            index = hash & (elementData.length
- 1);
> > >  > >  > >  >            entry = elementData[index];
> > >  > >  > >  >    ...
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  >   Of course, good JIT compiler should also resolve
such
> > patterns
> > >  > and
> > >  > >  > >  > eliminate bounds check here, but we can again hint
the
> > compiler
> > >  > they
> > >  > >  > >  > are not necessary. There's a complication though
that
> such
> > >  > pragma
> > >  > >  > >  > could violate security if used in user code, but
we could
> > >  > restrict
> > >  > >  > its
> > >  > >  > >  > usage to bootstrap classes only. ABCD gurus (Egor?)
could