harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Bartek Teodorczyk" <bar...@barteo.net>
Subject Re: [announce] Java ME contribution
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:26:42 GMT
> Bartek Teodorczyk wrote:
>
> > I'm happy to announce contribution part of the Microemulator
> > (http://www.microemu.org/) project to Apache Harmony. Microemulator is
> > a Java ME implementation but also emulation layer that allows to
> > execute CLDC/MIDP applications (MIDlets) on standard Java SE.
> >

>  Thanks Bartek!  That's very cool.
>

> > I've been involved into that project for almost 7 years, not always
> > full time though. In the latest release we achieved quite good
> > coverage of implemented JSRs: CLDC, MIDP2, JSR-75, JSR-135 and others.
> > It is however far to complete and of course we've never been able to
> > even touch the TCK to verify our implementation.
> >
> > Unfortunately, we are not able to contribute whole the project but
> > only parts that meet the Harmony ACQ requirements. That makes
> > potential integration with Harmony much more difficult, current
> > contributed code doesn't even compile successfully. I hope you'll find
> > it useful though, and I'm always open to answers any questions
> > concerning the Microemulator (as far as I'm allowed to).
> >

>  So my first question is:  what's missing to make it immediately useful to
> people?  I've not studied the code in detail yet, but do you have a
> high-level TODO list?

In my opinion, the most important thing is to recreate cldc and midp
modules that were removed from original project. This should be a
first point in TODO list.

Having that job done, it would be possible to use Java ME on top of
Harmony existing implementation.

Then, probably it is time to make some decisions how to integrate
codebase with Harmony. I don't know what are the plans of making
Harmony less Java SE oriented and provide other profiles as well like
CDC/CLDC.

Regards,
Bartek