harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][performance] @Inline and @NoBoundsCheck annotation support
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:44:29 GMT
Thanks for attention to this topic, guys! That's the point on which
JIT and Classlib code interact together: Classlib can provide the
hints how to compile it, JIT can favor such hints. While we shipping
Harmony JRE I think it makes sense to provide such the hints across
the components. Whether or not some other JIT will favor these
annotation is completely relies on "that-other-JIT" developers, and we
don't really care because it does not break functionality.

Let's emphasize that one more time - @NoBoundCheck is unsafe and
should be used in trusted code only, there is a clear security breach
if such the annotation work for user code. We can imagine a load of
other annotations that can't be exposed to user. On the other hand I
really doubt that any user code will add the dependency upon internal
Harmony annotation for it's own code, e.g.
org.apache.harmony.luni.annotations.Inline (ok, I wouldn't do that
being Java developer). Should we care about user code and support
@Inline pragma originating from any package user wants?

Thanks,
Aleksey.