harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject [general] How to be a good contributor?
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:34:13 GMT
Hi Alexey (Petrenko), Nathan, Mark, all!

Thanks for supporting me in creating the good patches against Harmony!
I had read "Good Issue Resolution Guideline" [1] and "Bad Smells" [2].
I will struggle to comply with them further. But also I need to know
the answers on topics which are not covered by the docs. I have my own
answers on them, but it would be great to see if my perception is what
Harmony committers expect.

 1. Coding conventions. What coding convention Harmony is using? Is it
common "Code Conventions for the Java" [3]?

 2. Patch separation. I see that there is an requirement in place to
divide test and implementation parts into distinct patches. Does that
apply to formatting, documentation and
text-reordering patches? I guess, it does.

 3. Explaining what the patch does. To what extent should one describe
what exactly the patch does: should it be the "investigation path"
which lead to fix, short description of fundamental changes, the
reason why this exact solution is better? I think that short
description on each change in patch should be enough.

 4. Proof-of-concept patches. Is it acceptable to have POC patches
attached to JIRA if there's distinct reminder that the patch is
prototype and is not supposed to be committed? Personally I like to
attach the "checkpoint patches" to JIRA when I'm working on issues,
'cause this could minimize the efforts on continuing works in case of
something happens with my computer or me :)

I think the answers on these questions worth publishing in resolution
guideline or similar document.

Is there anything else to read about good coding practices?

Thanks!
Aleksey.

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/issue_resolution_guideline.html
[2] http://sis36.berkeley.edu/projects/streek/agile/bad-smells-in-code.html