harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][luni][performance] IdentityHashMap implementation
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:36:33 GMT
Hi Endre,

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Endre StĂžlsvik <Endre@stolsvik.com> wrote:
> Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> > The reason behind all that changes is that entire IdentityHashMap
> > implementation was thrown away and replaced by HashMap
>  Isn't it possible to actually record this fact using SVN, by deleting the
> file, and then adding it again (or svn copy it from HashMap) - so that it
> doesn't look like a *change*, but more what it actually is: a remove, and
> then an add (actually, a copy)?
Unfortunately, that's not usable, you might play around to see why. If
you find a solution, please let me know :)

The reason is, svn diff is preparing the patch by diffing
IdentityHashMap.java and IdentityHashMap.java.svn-base, so it does not
matter how would you replace the contents of IdentityHashMap.java -
the results will be the same patch. Moreover, if you'll do "svn rm /
svn copy" the history for HashMap.java will be forwarded to
IdentityHashMap.java and "svn diff" will not generate anything.
Despite the fact this change might be more clean while committing (and
probably should be exploited by committer), it's hard for
non-committer to share the patch in JIRA. I don't know though whether
such change will discard the IdentityHashMap modification history.

Thanks,
Aleksey.