harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Rogers <rogers.em...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][performance] @Inline and @NoBoundsCheck annotation support
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:06:28 GMT
Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> Annotation is a constant interesting topic. If we really take this
> route (code annotation), should we define some standard to categorize
> the annotation kind and severity? For example, "inline" in C/C++ has
> simple inline and forced inline. And inline is for performance while
> bounds checking is for correctness. This hint gives the compiler
> options when making tradeoffs.
>
> In my prior work with compiler, a couple of other annotations for
> variables could be very useful for performance, such as "thread
> local", "recyclable", etc. These are also related to
> correctness´╝îshould be applied careful. And it's important for the
> programmer to remember the maintenance of the annotations when they
> modify the code.
>
> I think we can start from simple ones like inline or bounds checking.
> Just leave rooms to extensions.
>
> Thanks,
> xiaofeng

Hi,

for the Jikes RVM we found that an important factor was to scale the
inlining weight with respect to whether parameters were constant or not.
You can see the When extension to the Inline pragma here:

http://jikesrvm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jikesrvm/rvmroot/trunk/vmmagic/src/org/vmmagic/pragma/Inline.java?revision=14020&view=markup

Regards,
Ian
--
Third International Workshop on Implementation, Compilation,
Optimization of Object-Oriented Languages, Programs and Systems