harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] freeze for M5.5_Eclipse_TPTP
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:45:49 GMT
Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> Well, Tim, your letter opens a missed opportunity. If interested, Asaf
> and the TPTP team may start talking Eclipse legals to make them more
> flexible about release dates and formality level of the source
> revision if they have not done that yet. If tests pass tomorrow,
> Stepan may communicate the informal revision. If Asaf would succeed,
> the number would be enough.

I'm really not interested in convincing the Eclipse legal people to
change their process.  That is their business alone.

> Meanwhile we may try to understand why a convenience pseudo-release is
> a bad thing for our project (which  AFAIK have not managed to ship its
> first release yet).

We host snapshot builds which are probably what you are looking for --
builds that have been shown to pass a good number of tests.

The reason Harmony has not shipped it's first formal release is because
it has been our intention all along to use the JCK to test for
compliance with the Java specification.  As I hope you know, there is an
impasse with our receiving a suitable license for the JCK so far.

> Are there any pseudo-release precedents in a
> history of Apache projects? Tim, it would help me to understand your
> discretion against pseudo-releases if you supply some arguments.

You tell me what part of the release is 'pseudo' (i.e. fake) and I'll
object to it! :-)  Seriously, it's either a proper release or it is not,
there is no concept of pseudo-release.

Regards,
Tim