harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] freeze for M5.5_Eclipse_TPTP
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:41:10 GMT
Mark Hindess wrote:
> I agree with Tim on this issue.  I think making a release, with the
> testing, evaluation and voting involved, should not be something that
> downstream projects dictate.  Doing this release would seem to set a
> precedent that I would not be happy with.
>
> I would be inclined to vote -1 for any formal release that isn't simply
> the next milestone release.  Of course, this is not necessarily my final
> decision.
>
> The downstream project should use our current release or if they have
> a desperate need for something more recent then they should be more
> flexible.

Just to be clear about my views -- I have no objection if we choose to
effectively freeze new feature work in the verifier so that Eclipse can
take a copy of the source code at a well-defined revision number with
some assurance from us that it is not in a great state of flux.

However, if we are going to produce a formal milestone, that has
undergone the testing, checking, signing, and distribution via ASF
mirrors then we owe it to all our users for that to be the best quality
we can produce.  And that means the feature freeze, code freeze, test
and voting cycle that we have established for the project.

Regards,
Tim