harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][luni] put only host name in UnknownHostException
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:59:43 GMT
Nathan Beyer wrote:

> Anyone have any issue with making this change? Currently, the behavior is
> such that the host is in the message, but with the additional "No such file
> or directory" message. There doesn't seem to be much value in the additional
> message, so changing this to just be the host that was passed in is pretty
> trivial.

Yeah, can dump the bogus information from the message.

> However, when unwinding this a bit, there's this NegativeCache class that
> stores failed lookups and the message failure. Is this really needed? Is it
> appropriate? There's already a cache of resolved InetAddress object that
> were found, but this cache has a expiry, as I would have expected, but the
> NegativeCache doesn't. Any thoughts or comments on eliminating this negative
> cache bit? It seems like the negative cache isn't being maintained properly
> (no expiry, etc), so if a host became accessible over time, it wouldn't be
> accessible. Additionally, I don't think the overhead of the memory, though
> minimal, is really worth not executing a lookup, which would already be
> offset by resolvable hosts in the other cache.

The negative cache is needed, and it is described by the spec for
InetAddress [1] (see "InetAddress Caching").

It should have an expiry mechanism which admins can tweak using the
networkaddress.cache.negative.ttl property.

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/net/InetAddress.html

Regards,
Tim