harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][luni][performance] IdentityHashMap implementation
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:09:33 GMT
Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> Right, Tim. It was just the proof-of-concept "Does IdentityHashMap
> tuning worth it?".

I think it is unhelpful to mix actual, concrete suggestions for
performance improvements, with proof-of-concept ideas that break the
specification or security.

Please can people mark clearly in their mail whether they are suggesting
the idea only as "a thought experiment", otherwise somebody may apply
the change without properly understanding the consequences.

I realize the onus is on the committer to ensure it is safe but hiding
such problems is, as I said, unhelpful.

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sergey Salishev wrote:
>>> It also should be noticed that replacing the IdentityHashMap with HashMap
>> in
>>> Thread impl gives 4.5x boost on ThreadLocalBench.
>>  But it would be wrong since it opens a security vulnerability.
>>  See:
>>   http://markmail.org/message/rwq3kif5n33wp65m
>>   http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=477355
>>  Regards,