harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] removing people names from sources
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:03:40 GMT
Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> Hi, sorry for being different here.
>
> I strongly object to remove author names without any reason, although
> I don't mind removing myself's name. They put the names in their
> original code for their own reasons, it's not other people's right to
> remove their names without any reason.
>
> We should respect the original authors. If they put their names there,
> let's leave them there until  people contributing to the same files
> decide to remove them. Yes, the software is community work, but it
> doesn't mean that to keep some authors' names contradicts this spirit.
> On the contrary, I believe a community with individual respect is more
> healthful. We should leave the choice to the invidual contributors. I
> personally don't see any negative effect with authors' names in the
> source files.
>
> To have long list of author names in the file header is not very
> beautiful, but that's the contributors' own decision. If you are also
> a contributor to same file and you feel it's stupid, you can assume
> your own responsibility to beautify it. You can decide to remove the
> author name list. You can also decide to add your own name to the list
> and make the list into ascii art.

That's how it works at the moment really -- different people do
different things.

I see no evidence of people jealously guarding areas of code that they
wrote, and it is good to see that people take areas of responsibility in
Harmony without claiming fiefdoms.

So a question back to Alexei (at the top of this thread): Why did you
start asking people that question?

Regards,
Tim