harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][luni][performance] IdentityHashMap implementation
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:43:24 GMT
Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> Good point, Nathan! It was DRLVM, but I'll try on IBM VME too.

FWIW the IBM VME available for Harmony doesn't do a good job of
distributing the identityHashCode.

> Anyway, I had incorporated this option in (4) question - can we just
> don't trust VM's System.identityHashCode and dope the hashcode with
> our own salt?

We had this discussion a awhile ago, and since we don't know what the
distribution of the VM hashCode implementation will be, the only thing
to do is assume that the VM is producing a good distribution, and let
them suffer the consequences if they do not.

Regards,
Tim