harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] removing people names from sources
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:22:06 GMT
Karl Wettin wrote:
> Alexei Fedotov skrev:
>> I started asking people how they would feel about removing their names
>> from the source files. One of replies I got was that it would be nice
>> to keep the names in the list of contributors. Any ideas on
>> feasibility of the file, a suitable name (NOTICE?) and any
>> corresponding Apache guidelines?
>
> Lucene only list credits per patch in CHANGES.txt
> Hadoop only list credits per patch in the issue tracker.
>
> Someone recently wrote that it is to emphisise on community ownership
> and that in the end it has very little to do with a single person.

In Harmony we only take patches from the original authors, so JIRA would
be a good audit trail of those, and we have documents from our
contributors (the ACQ's) that show who has authored the code.  We could
therefore, create a comprehensive CREDITS file if people thought that
was the way to go.

But it could get silly, if people wanted some indication of how much
they contributed, or in which areas, etc.

Regards,
Tim