harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] removing people names from sources
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:18:39 GMT
Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> I started asking people how they would feel about removing their names
> from the source files. One of replies I got was that it would be nice
> to keep the names in the list of contributors. Any ideas on
> feasibility of the file, a suitable name (NOTICE?) and any
> corresponding Apache guidelines?

The NOTICE is not the right place for credits, since that is referenced
directly from the License, and is only for *required* notices.

There are no concrete rules, and as you might guess there are views both
for and against author tags in source code.

I'm inclined to remove them, especially when adding somebody else's
patches to file.  As Karl mentioned in his reply, there is a belief that
such attributions should be removed in 'community code':

http://markmail.org/message/sriqzlyckwvzzaru

Regards,
Tim