harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [announce] Java ME contribution
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:09:36 GMT
Bartek Teodorczyk wrote:
>>  So my first question is:  what's missing to make it immediately useful to
>> people?  I've not studied the code in detail yet, but do you have a
>> high-level TODO list?
>
> In my opinion, the most important thing is to recreate cldc and midp
> modules that were removed from original project. This should be a
> first point in TODO list.
>
> Having that job done, it would be possible to use Java ME on top of
> Harmony existing implementation.

Right, that should be an early goal.

> Then, probably it is time to make some decisions how to integrate
> codebase with Harmony. I don't know what are the plans of making
> Harmony less Java SE oriented and provide other profiles as well like
> CDC/CLDC.

IMO Harmony will always continue to have a Java SE stream, but that does
not prevent us from working on other Java platform profiles and
runtimes.  We are a Broad Church [1] covering VM/JIT/GC/class libraries etc.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broad_church

Regards,
Tim