harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][jndi][ldap] - Refine implementation of LdapSchemaContextImpl (HARMONY-5716)
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:16:33 GMT
Regis Xu (JIRA) wrote:
> Let me explain.
>
> The file contains necessary data to construct LdapSchemaContextImpl instance for testing.
>
> LdapSchemaContextImpl is constructed using schema data queried from LDAP server, then
> it cached all scehma data in "schemaTable", it's fast for searching.
>
> It's best if we could test LdapSchemaContextImpl with "real data" returned from LDAP
server.
> So we serialize the "real" schemaTable to the file and deserialize it when testing, then
we got a
> "real" LdapSchemaContextImpl without connecting with server.
>
> for 1)  we can construct the table from java code but the schema data is too large, i
think it's not reasonable
> to put it in java file.
>
> Maybe we could remove .ser from file name, which cause confusion with testing serialization
capabilities.

> I hope i had myself explained clearly.

Yes, it is a clear explanation Regis, but I have a concern that this
serialized file is a large binary blob that is hard for people to modify
if they choose to change the tests.

I realize that we don't want to require an LDAP server to test against,
and your idea for capturing the "real data" as a serialized data object
makes sense.  But, what if there is a bug or enhancement that somebody
else needs to make, and they don't have your LDAP server available to
re-create the "real data"?  I think it will be a maintenance problem.

Maybe I'm being too unreasonable, and right now I can't think of a
different way to do it (other than write the Java source code to create
the "real data" hashmap of hashmaps I saw when I deserialized the blob).

Regards,
Tim