harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][verifier] Using the Harmony verifier code for computing the StackMapTable attribute
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:52:11 GMT
Elford, Chris L wrote:
> Hi Endre,

Hi Chris, thanks for taking the time to answer that rant!

> In addition to providing a great license :-), Eclipse Foundation
> manages a set of open source projects... Kindof like Apache. For those
> projects managed directly in Eclipse, the foundation does IP review of
> any 3rd party content coming into the project.

As do Apache..

> I'm not a lawyer so I
> don't know all the ends and outs and I don't know the exact set of
> checks that are performed. I do know the source code is reviewed via
> some mechanism though. Review depends on the source of the material but
> always happens EVEN for integration of components with a compatible
> license such as Apache.

The thing that I really found amazing is that this review have to happen
for a project that already, AFAIU, was reviewed. As you wrote it, it
seems like a full, new round of whatever has to happen on each and every
check-in into Harmony's SVN. This is seriously weird, IMO.

Wouldn't it be possible for your legals to verify _Harmony_, and not
just some specific SVN tag, and thus in effect set up some kind of
trust-relationship between you two? Maybe with yearly reviews or
something..?

Regards,
Endre.