harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [drlvm]Help understanding string literal creation
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:43:54 GMT
Megha Chauhan said the following on 10.04.2008 18:16:
> I am not sure that String literal creation is done from java code. Any other
> String object is done from java code but String literal creation is
> something special. The object is instantiated at compile time only. I am
> sure that no string constructor is called when a string literal is
> created(but there might be some other way). Eclipse debugger is not able to
> step into any code when a breakpoint is set at :
> String str = "Test String" ;

I think this translates into ldc bytecode that loads a string from a
constant. This bytecode requires to load a string from class' constant
pool and JIT inserts a call to a VM helper
class_get_const_string_intern_addr (see file C_Interface.cpp in DRLVM
sources).

This helper executes Java code for String.intern and returns the
reference to the interned string back to the code generated for "ldc"
bytecode. The String.intern code in class library actually calls
VM.intern which calls InternMap.intern code from VM, but it is still
pure Java code.

> So I am assuming that there is no java code involved.

There is actually almost no VM native code involved.

> Again, I am not sure.
> Gregory : Can you point me to the java code that might be called during
> string literal creation?

See file InternMap.java in DRLVM sources.

--
Gregory