harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm]Help understanding string literal creation
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:03:05 GMT
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> On 10 April 2008 Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
>> Hi Megha!
>>
>> Probably you're on the right way. Modifying the String class is tough
>> task since it is kernel class and should be provided with appropriate
>
> Actually it is formally not a kernel class. It is not included with other
> kernel classes in DRLVM. But VM uses the knowledge of field names in String
> that hold the data (they are count, offset and value).

That's right.  It started off life as a kernel class, but we agreed
there was enough common behavior in there that it made sense to share it
across all implementations.  However, recognizing that the VM/JIT will
have some knowledge of it's shape, any changes require special
consideration first (a so-called 'golden-ticket').

see: http://markmail.org/message/bdme4cylnlmltkwt

Regards,
Tim