harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: federated build, classlib build - what am I doing wrong
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 04:10:37 GMT
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Alexey Varlamov <
alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/4/30, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org<https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&to=ndbeyer@apache.org>
> >:
> > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Alexey Varlamov <
> > alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com<https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&to=alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com>>
> wrote:
> >

> > > I recall we chewed this theme few months ago but nothing has changed
> since
> > > then.
> > > As long as you do full build of classlib, hythread native library is
> > > rebuilt (even if you did not touch relevant sources) and replaces
> > > drlvm's one (in deploy/jdk/jre/bin) thus drlvm fails. Alexei does only
> > > partial build and it works unless includes hythread.
> > > But I wonder why classlib natives are rebuilt each time.
> >

> > Did this change in the past 6-12 months? I use to do this all the time
> with
> > the IBM VME and it always worked.
> Nope, this problem exists from the very beginning. This works with J9
> as it names its threading lib differently (j9thr).

So how do we fix this, permanently? The whole point of the HDK/JDK folder
layout was to achieve this drop-n-go; at least that's what I thought. I know
we want some level of abstraction, but it seems awkward not to facilitate
the the most obvious development practice -- drlvm + classlib.

-Nathan