harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] icu or apr-iconv, which coding library is better?
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 02:39:37 GMT
On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 4:17 AM, Alexei Fedotov
<alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Nathan,
>  Thanks for questions.
>
>  There are many other places where charset (en/de)coders are used, but
>  we use icu4c there.

I know, but your original post made it sound like this was the big
reason for accepting this patch, but charset codec usage was a red
herring - I really don't like it when people use such tactics. Focus
on the real issue, please.

> HARMONY-5692 is a replacement of log4cxx with
>  custom logger and removing dependent aprutil and apr-iconv which are
>  not used any longer after this replacement.
>    * The replacement decreases
>  windows_x86_msvc_debug/deploy/jdk/jre/bin/default/harmonyvm.dll size
>  from 4079616 to 2961408. This would probably improve a startup time.

Any proof, even anecdotal to this claim?

>    * The custom logger requires less lines of code than a log4cxx
>  wrapper, hence, is easier to maintain.
>    * By specification VM logging should be done using provided
>  vfprintf. C++ logger adds two layers of conversion. vfprintf layer wan
>  not implemented, and implementing it would increase a number of
>  wrappers for log4cxx.

Can you point to this bit of the specification? I don't understand the
last bit of what you're claiming. There's a wrapper that doesn't
exist, but needs to?

>  Please, let me know if these arguments are enough for log4cxx being removed.

No, they aren't for me. The original DRLVM engineers used log4xx for a
reason, what functionality are we giving up?