harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Paty Lustosa" <patlust...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [GSoC2008] Write a graphical front-end for Harmony memory management
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:03:16 GMT
Hi Rick,

I also have been corresponding with Xiao-Feng about this project and I also
proposed to it (Write a graphical front-end for Harmony memory management).
Xiao told me to discuss the proposal with you to see if we can come up with
two different proposals with enough substances. In my proposal, I present
two objectives:

1. GCspy integration
GCspy is a heap visualization framework that allows developers to observe
the behavior of the heap and related data structures. GCspy adopted a
client-server architecture. The system being visualized, Harmony, is the
server. In order to integrate GCspy with Harmony, I am going to write a
GCspy driver for each of its GC algorithms. A driver is a module that maps
the operation and layout of an algorithm onto the generic GCspy
abstractions. With this, Harmony will have its standalone visualization
tool.
2. Eclipse plug-in
There are two options to this part of the project. I could simplify GCspy
and modify it to be an Eclipse[3] plug-in. The second option is to rewrite
my own visualization tool. The decision is going to be made with the mentor
depending on the time available and the experience got in the first step.

What do you think? In your proposal, you considere the GCSpy integration
only or something else too?
Thanks,

Patrícia Lustosa

--