harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Tony Wu" <wuyue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general][performance] Serialization patches need committer attention
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 03:51:26 GMT
Hi, Aleksey
just did a quick look at 5756, seems there will be some
unsatisfiedlink error in auth and security module because the ois.c
has been removed. would you please rebuild the native with your patch
and verify if I'm correct. And please don't forget to modify the
makefile of linux accordingly. I'll be offline for several hours,
sorry if I can't reply immediately.

On 4/17/08, Aleksey Shipilev <aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are two additional issues waiting for committers attention:
>
> Can anyone review and commit them?
>
> Thanks,
> Aleksey.
>
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Aleksey Shipilev
> <aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Tony,
> >
> >  I had fixed the issues with JUnit tests, it was my oversight about
> >  handling NoSuchFieldError exceptions.
> >  Now all seem to be OK, LUNI tests were passed.
> >
> >  Thanks,
> >  Aleksey.
> >
> >  On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Aleksey Shipilev
> >

> > <aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > Hm, I didn't expect this, will take a look, thanks.
> >  >
> >  >
> >  >
> >  >  On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Tony Wu <wuyuehao@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  >  > Aleksey,
> >  >  >  I think keep the benchmark somewhere such as JIRA is also ok.
> >  >  >
> >  >  >  7 serialization related errors in Collections2Test after applied your
> >  >  >  patch.  All of them looked like below.
> >  >  >
> >  >  >  zeroLengthElementArray
> >  >  >
> >  >  >  java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: zeroLengthElementArray at
> >  >  >  org.apache.harmony.misc.accessors.ObjectAccessor.getFieldID(ObjectAccessor.java:54)
> >  >  >  at org.apache.harmony.misc.accessors.ObjectAccessor.getFieldID(ObjectAccessor.java:56)
> >  >  >  at java.io.ObjectStreamField.getFieldID(ObjectStreamField.java:59)
at
> >  >  >  java.io.ObjectInputStream.readFieldValues(ObjectInputStream.java:1133)
> >  >  >  at java.io.ObjectInputStream.defaultReadObject(ObjectInputStream.java:433)
> >  >  >  at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObjectForClass(ObjectInputStream.java:1415)
> >  >  >  at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readHierarchy(ObjectInputStream.java:1322)
> >  >  >  at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readNewObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1978)
> >  >  >  at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readNonPrimitiveContent(ObjectInputStream.java:821)
> >  >  >  at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:2130)
> >  >  >  at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:285)
at
> >  >  >  tests.util.SerializationTester.readObject(SerializationTester.java:171)
> >  >  >  at tests.util.SerializationTester.assertCompabilityEquals(SerializationTester.java:142)
> >  >  >  at org.apache.harmony.luni.tests.java.util.Collections2Test.test_checkedCollectionSerializationCompatability(Collections2Test.java:418)
> >  >  >  at java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.invokeV(AccessibleObject.java:25)
> >  >  >
> >  >  >
> >  >  >
> >  >  >
> >  >  >  On 4/15/08, Aleksey Shipilev <aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  >  >  > Thanks, Tony!
> >  >  >  >
> >  >  >  > There is microbenchmark in [1], is it too big for regression test?
> >  >  >  >
> >  >  >  > Thanks,
> >  >  >  > Aleksey.
> >  >  >  >
> >  >  >  > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-5632
> >  >  >  >
> >  >  >  > On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 7:08 AM, Tony Wu <wuyuehao@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >  >  >  > > Hi, Aleksey
> >  >  >  > >  I'm looking at 5722. I agree with you on leveraging the
Accessor but I
> >  >  >  > >  think it would be good if you can post some micro-benchmark
on this
> >  >  >  > >  JIRA so that we can utilize it as regression test in future.
> >  >  >  > >
> >  >  >  > >
> >  >  >  > >
> >  >  >  > >  On 4/15/08, Aleksey Shipilev <aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >  >  >  > >  > Hi all,
> >  >  >  > >  >
> >  >  >  > >  > As you might noticed, there is active work on serialization
> >  >  >  > >  > performance improvements [1]. So far we had committed
4 patches
> >  >  >  > >  > concerning scalability and boosted the performance
on multi-threaded
> >  >  >  > >  > serialization benchmarks more than 2x times. And this
is not the end
> >  >  >  > >  > of the journey: more issues coming.
> >  >  >  > >  >
> >  >  >  > >  > Dear committers, can you please review and commit the
patches in ready JIRAs?
> >  >  >  > >  > I will be happy if these two committed:
> >  >  >  > >  >  a. [classlib][luni][performance] ObjectInputStream/ObjectOutputStream
> >  >  >  > >  > can use optimized API for accessing fields - available
at [2]
> >  >  >  > >  > This issue moves the setField/getField functionality
to ObjectAccessor
> >  >  >  > >  > utility class. This eliminates one serious problem:
creation of string