harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: federated build, classlib build - what am I doing wrong
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:17:00 GMT

In message <3b3f27c60804292110v42ea7f61va5a691117423992a@mail.gmail.com>,
"Nathan Beyer" writes:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Alexey Varlamov
> <alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2008/4/30, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org>:

> > > Did this change in the past 6-12 months? I use to do this all the
> > > time with the IBM VME and it always worked.
> >
> > Nope, this problem exists from the very beginning. This works with
> > J9 as it names its threading lib differently (j9thr).
>
> So how do we fix this, permanently? The whole point of the HDK/JDK
> folder layout was to achieve this drop-n-go; at least that's what
> I thought. I know we want some level of abstraction, but it seems
> awkward not to facilitate the the most obvious development practice --
> drlvm + classlib.

As I said in an earlier message in this thread, the correct fix is to
drop the classlib hythr implementation and let the VME to supply it's
own implementation with a well-defined API.  The work for classlib is
actually done and is activated with -Dhy.no.thr=true ant option.  It
just needs to be implemented in DRLVM and the IBM VME.  No doubt the API
will need to be refined a little if/when the VME portion of the work is
attempted.

-Mark.