harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] freeze for M5.5_Eclipse_TPTP
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:29:55 GMT

In message <480DC6F6.4000006@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:
> I'm really not convinced this is a good idea for Harmony, and my
> concerns are in two parts:
> 1) Our schedule should not be dictated by an external project,
> especially when it is their process that seems to be setting the
> artificial time limit.  Why not show some flexibility to meet our
> dates?
> 2) Our principle delivery mechanism is source code.  While we make
> binaries available as a convenience we should not encourage dependents
> to put dependencies on our build tools.  They should take source and
> compile it themselves for their own environment.

I agree with Tim on this issue.  I think making a release, with the
testing, evaluation and voting involved, should not be something that
downstream projects dictate.  Doing this release would seem to set a
precedent that I would not be happy with.

I would be inclined to vote -1 for any formal release that isn't simply
the next milestone release.  Of course, this is not necessarily my final

The downstream project should use our current release or if they have
a desperate need for something more recent then they should be more

View raw message