harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] icu or apr-iconv, which coding library is better?
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2008 07:30:38 GMT

On 16 April 2008 at 21:59, "Nathan Beyer" <ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Alexey Varlamov <
> alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2008/4/16, Nathan Beyer <nbeyer@gmail.com<https://mail.google.com/mail?view
> =cm&tf=0&to=nbeyer@gmail.com>
> > >:
> > > I think we need more consensus on this. Is everyone in agreement about
> > > dumping log4cxx? Is this patch the appropriate replacement?
> >
> > Well, the suggestion has positive responses from me, Xiao-Feng and
> > Ilya Berezhniuk, and no specifc opposing arguments. Let's wait last
> > 24h, tomorrow I'll commit if no objections.
>

> Someone has to be the bad guy.

I don't think anyone saw it like that.  The issues you raised -
particularly about the confusion [see the current subject line for
example] about what was trying to be achieved were entirely reasonable.

> I don't really care to honest, but I do know that big changes
> generally have big side-effects, so I think it's better to have
> more consensus and discussion up front. As the size and effect of
> the change increases, so should the discussion and number of people
> involved increase.

Indeed.  In this case, too much discussion happened on the JIRA before
Tim's comment.  So discussion should probably have happened here before
the JIRA was even opened.

Regards,
 Mark