harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn:ignore properties update
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:13:20 GMT
On 16 April 2008 Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> 2008/4/16, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@apache.org>:

> > > Since these files are result of error then we definitely do not want
> > > to see them in svn repository. Right?
> > > If so why don't we want to add the to ignore list?
> >
> > I think it is better to avoid such errors. When such file appears in your
> > "svn status" you would know that something didn't go right even if you
> > didn't notice it right away.
> > Files added to svn:ignore are files expected to be generated.
>
> Why? I think that all the files, which we do not want to see in svn,
> worths to be added to ignore list.

-1

I disagree. Or else we'd add "*" to svn:ignore for all of subdirectories. This
makes no sense.

Only files that are expected to be generated should be ignored. All other
files are a warning for the developer that all other developers didn't expect
them to appear in the source tree.

You should want to find files like "junit*.properties" or "core.*" to know
that the build doesn't work as expected by all other people.

--
Gregory