harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] [archive] Re: jar and zip optimizations
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:47:17 GMT

HY_LOCAL_ZLIB is set by the ant option -Dhy.local.zlib=true.  It is
intended for use on unix machines where libz.so is typically already
available (and in memory).  This option is not enabled by default but
since the zlib api is pretty stable this would seem to be a reasonable
default for unix machines.  I do set this option when building the
debian packages (which is why I noticed/reported that the harmony
version was not using the most effective compiler optimisations on linux
x86/x86_64).

I'm curious to know whether you plan to make zlib optimisations that are
harmony specific.  If not, then it would be much better to contribute
them back to the zlib project directly and not maintain them in the
harmony project.

-Mark.