harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] GSoC 2008 Refactor Java Bytecode Translator
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:00:42 GMT
On the 0x41A day of Apache Harmony Okonechnikov Konstantin wrote:
> On 4/2/08, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Actually I have already started with IRBuilder refactoring and
> > completely
> > removed Simplifier from the code, tested on HelloWorld. (maybe I
> > should try more complicated tests)
> >

> > Sorry for a dumb question. Have you turned OPT on? (May be this does
> > not matter, I'm not a JIT guru)
> >
> > It matters! OPT translator (which is supposed to be refactored) uses
> IRBuilder to create HIR.
> Currently I use Xem:opt for testing ( standard opt emoconf file without any
> modifications).

Kostya, I had no doubt you do so :)

> Again about generators: can't say yet anything
> particular, I am not very familiar with this technique,
> need to take look at it
> . Specific translator implementing is clear to my mind, and I think there are
> ways to make it maybe not reusable, but good-structured and
> convinient for modification and evolution.

this might take a while. And probably time to open the Aho and Ullman book :)

This technique/theory might seem difficult at the first glance
(basically the course takes one semester). You probably would not have
as much time on this, and that is totally OK, since not a part of your
SoC project. I suspect we will encounter many other cases of
ideally-would-be-good-to-fix, but we should not let them loose our
focus.

I must admit that you seem to like the idea to look into possibilities
to reuse parser generator code. I would not recomend against that. If
you happen to quickly prototype it, that's super-cool, but if not, no
problem, just skip.

Thanks for being so active! this is a key not just to open source
projects :)

--
Egor Pasko