harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] GSoC 2008 Refactor Java Bytecode Translator
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:59:45 GMT
On the 0x423 day of Apache Harmony Okonechnikov Konstantin wrote:

> > Okay, so, HARMONY-5500 is to unify the two IRBuilders. Nice. Good idea
> > too)) What is the time estimate for Kostya to do this? we should
> > consider it when deciding the scope of the work.
> >
> > I like that Kostya is now aware of what IRBuilder does, how it
> > interacts with translator, simplifier and InstFactory. This is
> > important to know either way. So the time spent on this is not lost
> > anyway.
> >

> > > I agree this is difficult to imagine an HLO pass which needs
> > > simplification on the fly. But I insist it is needed at the
> > > translation.
> >

> > now I see your point even better
> >
> > --
> >
> > Egor Pasko
> >

> Due to latest discussion I have modified my proposal wiki
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/WikiTranslatorRefactoringProposal
> It's pity that I wasn't in time to do the same with GSoC proposal, but it
> was too late already.

no problem, your original roposal suits well. As far as I understood
you removed the IRBuilder separation, which is probably a too strong
change. You can formulate it as "investigate the output stage of the
Translator by moving IRBuilder optimizations out, study the
feasibility of this refactoring part". You already did most of this,
although, I would like to see the report: did you manage to run
HelloWorld? any other progress indicators?

Some notes on the proposal:

1. I would move bytecode mapping to some later stage, bcmapping is not
   necessary to run HelloWorld in OPT mode. (I suspect you mean that
   HelloWorld should be checked in OPT mode:)

2. (well, I should have said that before) I do not like the words like
   "define specifications", "elaborate development scheme" and "work
   out project model". Too much buzz. Please, focus on
   functionality. You will move step by step in your
   implementation. The proposal outlines the steps, more detailed
   steps will be discovered during the fun process. This is good.

> Nevertheless now I focus my efforts on translator (first steps are
> prepass and data analysis).

Hey, I support your aim at this! That should be the most interesting
part of the project. Really good that you can jump into some work
based on reasonable decicions of yours. I will try be guiding you here
and there, but your decisions are always most valuable in terms of
SoC, and it is really important that you are active. Thanks!

> BTW, perhaps this wiki requires some modification too (item 4)
> http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/JIT_Development_Tasks

did you already speak with George on this? I do think it is still TBD,
we will converge to the final decision, I believe. Just not
immediately.

P.S.: I ranked your application, committers, plz, follow me :)

--
Egor Pasko