harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jit] replay compilation methodology
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:18:33 GMT
On the 0x42F day of Apache Harmony Naveen Neelakantam wrote:
> Hello all,

Hello, Naveen, nice to see you again!

> For my own research purposes I'm starting to implement support in
> DRLVM for what the JikesRVM folks call "replay compilation
> methodology" (see: http://jikesrvm.org/Experimental+Guidelines and
> Section 5 of
> http://cs.anu.edu.au/~Steve.Blackburn/pubs/papers/oor-oopsla-2004.pdf)
> .

at the first glance I did not find anything useful in the Section 5

> I've thought a bit about it and I know I would need at least the
> following:
> 1) Mechanism for logging edge profiles (I actually already have a
> quick and dirty way of doing this).
> 2) Mechanism for logging call profiles.
> 3) Mechanism for reading in both profiles and feeding them to the JIT
> when running in replay mode.

hm, this approach looks like aims at determinism. Does it require
thread manager logging/replay? I hope not.

Logging should probably be not the normal logging, but something least
intruisive possible, right?

for me it seems like a useful feature, probably can grow into
something bigger.. but need to discuss a lot of details, of course

--
Egor Pasko