harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: [GSOC2008] Application for harmony-swing-rtf
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:42:52 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Ellison" <t.p.ellison@gmail.com>
To: <dev@harmony.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 12:41 PM
Subject: Re: [GSOC2008] Application for harmony-swing-rtf

> Any committers willing to mentor this project?
> Please sign up using the GSoC application.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
>
> Aleksey Lagoshin wrote:
>> Here is my application for harmony-swing-rtf project. It would be great
>> if
>> someone read it and gave advice on how to improve it.
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/general/AlekseyLagoshin/GSoC2008/harmony-swing-rtf
>>
>> Many thanks. :)

Just a few thoughts... from someone outside the inner circle ;)
I think this is going to be alot of work and not really main stream.
Even MS has now based Word and HTML and yes RTF is still there but I think
its almost second nature for someone wanting portability to "save as html".
The effort versus value, I think is questionable.
Nice to have sort of summarizes it, but I think most Java dudes are alergic
to RTF anyway ;)

There are other area's that I think would bring "greater fame", I dont know
if Harmony has addressed
these problems already, but the one that comes to mind is that HTML in
Swings JEditorPane SUCKS!

Its actaully unbelievable, in this day and age of the Internet, we talking
about bringing RTF to Swing,
but the HTML rendering in JEditorPane probably cant display 1/10th of the
web.
It effectively broken...

So... its just a suggestion, have a look at something like bringing CSS to
JEditorPane...

This link demo's the problem
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=412658&messageID=1817148

This link shows the crazyness

http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2003/10/14/swingcss.html

ie bringing CSS to Swing components, but the HTML is still broken

and this will probably get you started..

http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2003/10/14/swingcss.html

Probably not too complex a project, but I think a lot of Java programmers
will thank you.

And its probably possible to make it 100% compatible with existing API...
and a few more can
be added because HTML parsers in the EditorToolKit also suck.

I think Java not being able to just "display" a CSS web page is simply
embarrassing...

Maybe?

The only real POJO Application Server.
Making the Java dream come true.