harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Maksim Ananjev" <maksim.anan...@gmail.com>
Subject suggestion for GSoC'08 project
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:23:18 GMT
Hi, Harmony people!

I want to participate in Google Summer Of Code 2008 as a student, and
I have a project in mind, which can be benefitial for Harmony.

I will be happy to complete Class Library up 100% compatibility with java6.

Harmony is claimed to have "near 100%" completeness. As far as I
rememeber, this claim has been made for the last 2 years. It's great
to have such a high level of comleteness, but the question arises "why
not 100%?". As far as I know, Harmony evangelists all over the world
often face such a tough question.

So, I want to have the following fun this summer:

1. Identify what classes and methods are unimplemented in comparison
with Java 6 documentation
2. implement them  :)

There is a project of enabling FreeCol in the list of proposed
projects. Of course, I will have to collaborate with the guy engaged
in this project when it comes to java.image.io classes.

I will be glad to hear from Harmony gurus in this list whether it is
possible to comlete class library in 3 months and who is willing to be
the mentor for such a project,

P.S. About myself: I run for Master's degree in Physics in Novosibirsk
State Unoversity. I have some experience in Java and C++. I
contributed to Harmony VM JIT-compiler: powerful optimization called
"operator strengh reduction"[1] and some perfomance-improving fixes. I
am now working on the vectorization support for Harmony jit compiler.
I hope to have it done this spring.

[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-5090

--
Maksim