harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject What should we choose for Harmony: JavaCC or AntLR? Was: Google Summer of Code and Harmony
Date Sat, 29 Mar 2008 14:28:36 GMT
Hello, Aleksey,

This is a good question indeed. Currently both popular parser
generators, i.e. JavaCC and ANTLR, are used in Harmony. We have to
decide which one is the preferable one for your project and overall. I
believe people who have some experience may help us to decide what
suits RTF parser and Harmony better. For your application you may just
note that you are collecting arguments to choose one generator from
two to be most applicable for Harmony instead of naming the only one,
and list the arguments you have already collected.

The licensing of both generators is acceptable. I have heard recent
talks about incompatible change of AntLR license, and cannot confirm
that. It seems that AntLR 3.0 uses conventional BSD license [1].
JavaCC has a proprietary origin [2], but Sun does not claim its rights
for this generator.

There was a conflict between ANTLR from our boot class path and the
one from Dacapo benchmark. I don't think this should be a problem for
RTF parser: one can load classes into another class loader. Vladimir
Beliaev, Paulex and Alexey Varlamov have to say more about this [3].
>From the other side people said that ANTLR provides more
understandable syntax that JavaCC [4], and AFAIK your mentor devoted
his university studies to ANTLR.

Alexei, all, do you have a parser generator preference?

[1] http://www.antlr.org/license.html
[2] http://markmail.org/message/v62n2jt7hvb234fi
[3] http://markmail.org/message/ja64toonfbo26yz5
[4] http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=45464#233154