harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSOC 2008: harmony-gc-5
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 21:45:35 GMT
Parrot community have a pretty interesting and resourceful test base
including tests which run regular expressions against their code which
fail when the code style is not good. The only stress test they have
is fortunately a test against GC [1], so it may be a good start.
Generally this would be a good idea to address these questions to
their list and ask them for cross-mentoring. Building good relations
and understanding their code of conduct would ease acceptance of your
work later.

As for the porting layer, Maria tried merging Harmony and Parrot
porting layers and faced difficulties adjusting our hythread layer
based on port layer based on apr layer based on OS layer to parrot
based on source configure-like preprocessing. Another challenge is a
pure C nature of Parrot code which makes embedding our sources tainted
with C++ painful. For me it seems feasible to build GC into a separate
dynamic library using Harmony build system, and plug it into Parrot
using a binary DLL interface you have to tune.

[1] parrot/t/stress/gc.t

--
With best regards,
Alexei