harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code and Harmony
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:21:07 GMT
Hello Aleksey,
That's great that you appeared on the list. That is nice to chat on
GTalk, but the list is preferred. People tend to think thoroughly
before sending their letters, so the communication become more
thoughtful and transparent. Please, don't hesitate to ask questions on
the list: UK guys provide us an object lesson in English courtesy
here.

I'm happy that you are ok with RTF editor task. From mentor's FAQ it
reads that getting two dependent projects accepted is harder than
different projects.

Dear students,
I also looked through few Apache applications. Most of them look in a
following way:

Hello! I'm very gifted. See my resume at <url>. I want to participate
in GSoC with <project>. This includes development, testing, and bug
fixing.

One guy had even sent the same application for three different
projects. This would not be accepted if I would be a guy who voted. To
get accepted follow the simple rules:

   * Describe impact. Don't hide your enthusiasm since the thing which
is invigorating for you may raise a spirit of others. From the other
side, it would help to understand why Apache benefits from your
project. For example, completing RTF parser is completing more than
one Java class. Among three most popular formats for mail
communication RTF is the only one which is missed in Harmony.
   * Be specific. State numbers, name existing problems, refer to
project files and JIRA issues.
   * Measure outcome. How it will be checked if the project is
successful? For example, one may write down few test scenarios his
application should pass in three months.

Seek a help of your mentors to get these questions answered properly.

--
With best regards,
Alexei