harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: harmony-demo-1 for GSoC 2008
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:30:22 GMT
Hello Tharindu,

I don't think that the project requires any skills in game
development. The FreeCol seems to work on Sun. I have checked that Sun
shows the first menu which Harmony cannot. This means that most code
changes are suspected to be in Harmony. From the other side getting
familiar with FreeCol and AWT sources and architecture might be a good
start for a game developer.

As the first step I would recommend getting Harmony sources and
FreeCol jar from Internet, build the sources [1], try to launch
System.out.println("Hello World"), then launch FreeCol and reproduce
the error. If you succeed, you have a good chance to have enough
skills to succeed with the whole task as well.

BTW, you may have noticed that the other my task (harmony-gc-5) is to
improve Parrot efficiency by means of XFL garbage collector [2], in
other words, the efficiency of Lua scripts which are run by Parrot VM.
And Lua is used for scripting in many games such as World of Warcraft.
:-)

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/quickhelp_contributors.html
[2]

--