harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Write a graphical front-end for Harmony memory management
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:43:55 GMT
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Endre StĂžlsvik <Endre@stolsvik.com> wrote:
> Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
>
>  > For this GSoC project, it's probably enough to have the bullet 1
>  > achieved, and GCspy is a very good reference. Well the wish for bullet
>  > 1 is to make it self-contained within Harmony as a plugin of Eclipse
>  > (i.e., least dependent on external software but Eclipse related).
>
>  Why wouldn't it be *much* better to integrate the existing GCSpy project
>  (which apparently requires a "server" integration in that JVM to be done
>  - KVM has e.g. done it), and if it lacks something, code it into GCSpy
>  proper code? Then all will benefit..

Endre, thanks for the suggestion. I actually thought the same thing, I
am just not sure if a GSoC project can be that ambitious, since in my
understanding, GCspy is quite well-designed to accommodate various
runtime systems, and it's keep improving. Also I don't know GCspy's
maintenance model.

Probably we can partition the tasks into two steps:
Step 1. to make Harmony work with GCspy based on its current codebase;
Step 2. to modify GCspy for our monitoring/tuning needs as an Eclipse plugin.

How do you think about them? Thanks.

I don't know how Ian wants to roll out his RVM visualization proposal.
Ian, do you plan to enhance GCspy with TuningFork idea or to migrate
RVM to work with the TuningFork framework?

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com